Career Link Job Posting
Thanks for visiting and checking out our exclusive job postings.
How To Apply
|- Grade 12, plus two years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience|
- Ability to keyboard at 45 wpm.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
Duties and Responsibilities
|- Interviews patients, relatives and/or family to obtain registration information, such as relevant personal and demographic information and responsibility for payment, and registers patient in the computerized admission/discharge/transfer system|
- Processes preadmissions. Accesses HealthNet as required to determine the patient's healthcare number (PHN) or assigns a new PHN if required
- Searches other databases as required
- Completes and prints registration forms related to the documentation of patients and forwards this information to appropriate departments
- Obtains signatures as appropriate. Prepares and applies identity bands to patients
- Receives payments for non-resident and self-pay charges and medical/surgical supplies; issues receipts; explains hospital policy regarding deposits and room differentials
- Receives and records patient valuables for safekeeping
- Follows established quality assurance procedures by reviewing and editing patient data; produces audit reports as requested
- Provides telephone exchange services by operating a computerized switchboard to receive and transfer calls, utilizing pagers, answering service and the public address system to contact individuals; takes messages for staff and forwards by telephoning directly
- Responds to patient and visitor requests for information and directions in accordance with department standards.
- Responds to a variety of emergency signals for such situations as cardiac arrest, bomb threats and disasters by operating locating equipment and following established codes and procedures to notify appropriate individuals and departments
- Performs record processing functions related to patient records by assembling, identifying, verifying and correcting patient information utilizing the computerized Admission, Discharge Transfer and/or Electronic Health Record System, checking for discharges and/or previous admissions, processing patient folders and documents, merging duplicate files, making up folders and printing chart labels, and filing as required
- Retrieves patient records according to established policies and procedures, photocopies information and maintains and updates records utilizing computerized record location systems. Refers unusual requests to the Coordinator and/or designates
- Follows up regarding problems with documentation such as questionable encounters, duplicate registrations and merges. Takes the appropriate steps to correct or resolve problems as required. Initiates edits and merges duplicate numbers as required
- Answers inquiries related to the release of patient information for continuity of care by performing duties such as receiving request, retrieving files, photocopying and releasing in accordance with established procedures
- Performs clerical duties such as typing non-technical material such as correspondence, reports, and labels, photocopying, filing and operating the facsimile machine
- Maintains inventory of supplies by completing order requisitions and submitting to supplier and/or Stores as required
- Assists with the transition of new employees and students to the work of the area by demonstrating procedures and answering related questions
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
|- Reporting to the Coordinator and/or designate, performs a variety of registration and switchboard functions such as registering patients (including inpatients, outpatients, ambulatory care patients and emergency patients) in the computerized admission/discharge/transfer system. Processes preadmissions, admissions, and discharges. Performs records processing duties such as assembly, retrieval and delivery of records; filing, identifying, verifying, and correcting patient information. Performs clerical duties related to the release of patient information for continuity of care. Operates the computerized telephone exchange, locates personnel through the use of pagers, answering services and the public address systems, and responds to emergencies by methods such as calling established codes. Performs other related clerical functions as required.|
Career Link posts this position as a free service for the community. Career Link does not screen employers or applicants, and assumes no responsibility or liability for the job posting. Any arrangements are between the job seeker and the employer.