How to Make an Interview Cold Call
Cold calling employers has been proven the fastest way to uncover the hidden job market and get back to work sooner.
Difficulty Level: hard
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Prepare ahead of time what you want to say to each employer. This script will include an introduction your occupation and a request for a meeting.
- Make a list of the company names and telephone numbers of the people you want to call. If you do not have the name of the person who makes the hiring decision, then a call to the company is in order.
- Place a mirror in from of the telephone so that you can see yourself. SMILE! You can hear a smile over the telephone and it will make the other person more at ease.
- Take a deep breath, relax, and dial the first number. Ask for the specific person on your list. If they are not in, ask when you could return the call. If they are available, go ahead with your prepared script.
- Repeat the steps 3 and 4 until you have called 10 employers or you have secured two employment interviews, which ever comes first.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 each week-day until you secure employment.
- Make no more than ten calls in one day to avoid burnout.
- Write everything down! Times of telephone calls, appointment times, names and directions.
Don’t get discouraged too quickly. Statistically you will make two appointments for every 10 calls you make, and you will attend eight appointments to get one job offer.