WorkBC Powell River Job Posting
Thanks for visiting and checking out our exclusive job postings.
How To Apply
|- Ideal candidates have taken courses in relevant disciplines (i.e. History, Museum Studies, Anthropology, Archaeology, Tourism, and/or Education) and possess excellent communication and organizational skills. Experience developing and/or delivering educational programs for child and/or adult audiences is considered an asset. The selected student will be responsible, able to follow directions well, and demonstrate an ability to work with minimal supervision. A keen interest in local history is also an asset. Candidates will have, or be willing to obtain a police records check. Comfort using computers and office software is an asset. Strength to lift 50 lbs is an asset. Necessary training and support will be provided.|
To be eligible, youth are required to meet the eligibility criteria set forth by the grant program (Canada Summer Jobs - CSJ)
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment*
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
|- The Powell River Historical Museum & Archives is seeking a post-secondary student for a seasonal summer position.|
- This position requires a highly motivated individual to greet and assist visitors to our facility.
- The student will learn our Point of Sale cash system as well as other Museum Store and Visitor Service duties.
- There will be many questions from visitors about the Museum, Archives and the community at large.
- The Museum Assistant will develop and deliver current and new programs (including guided exhibit tours, children’s programs and public outreach activities).
- The successful applicant will be an outgoing, organized individual able to work in a team or independently, and who is comfortable engaging with children and people of all ages.
The Museum Assistant (MA) tasks and responsibilities include:
- welcoming visitors (i.e. residents and tourists), conducting tours for adult, senior, and school/camp groups, and providing historical interpretation of museum artifacts and displays in two on-site buildings.
- assist museum staff and volunteers in the delivery of outreach and interpretive programming onsite, and in the community at various festivals and cultural events during the summer season.
- Design their own personalized tour of the museum, as well as have the opportunity to evaluate and make recommendations on current programs offered.
- The chance to develop their own museum display on a local cultural or heritage topic.
- Responsible for the cataloging, digitizing, database entry, and re-housing of 400 small historical artifacts in the Objects Collection.
- Assist the Collections Manage in the day to day management and care of the museum displays and artifacts.
- Responsible for opening and closing the museum for visitors, maintain records of admission, manage cash and complete transactions in the museum shop.
- Assist in the set up and take down of the gallery space for special programming such as First Nations workshops on carving, weaving, and drum making.
|The Powell River Historical Museum& Archives is an equal opportunity employer. Please apply with a cover letter and resume by email to: email@example.com. Include "Attn: Collections Manager - Museum Assistant (Summer)" in the subject of your email. Applications are due June 20, 2019. |
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment term: July 8, 2019 – August 30, 2019; 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday).
WorkBC Powell River posts this position as a free service for the community. WorkBC Powell River does not screen employers or applicants, and assumes no responsibility or liability for the job posting. Any arrangements are between the job seeker and the employer.